Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sunday Afternoon Poetry #23

Good afternoon my digital comrades! I hope that you are all enjoying this wonderful Sunday with a little bit of rest and relaxation. As promised, I am reviving my Sunday Afternoon Poetry blog series. I love poetry; writing and reading it and it bring me great pleasure to have a medium in which to share personal poems as well as poems that are personal to me. 

Today I am sharing a poem from one of my favorite authors growing up, Shel Silverstein. I really have to thank my father who brought home the collection of writings and poems by Silverstein in the book call Where the Sidewalk Ends. I remember reading many of the poems and short stories with glee and joy in my heart. Such simple words brought laughter to my soul and allowed my imagination to soar with open possibilities. Today I am going to share one of his poems from that book; I hope you enjoy. Please take some time to read some more Shel Silverstein here.


Where the Sidewalk Ends

There is a place where the sidewalk ends
And before the street begins,
And there the grass grows soft and white,
And there the sun burns crimson bright,
And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
To cool in the peppermint wind.

Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black

And the dark street winds and bends.
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends.
Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends.
Love One Another.



Original


I hope you enjoyed this little poem and that you'll take the time to check out some more of his work. As always, I want to thank you all for taking the time to read and share. I'll be sharing one of my own poems in next weeks post so make sure to take some time out of your day of leisure to enjoy some poetry and reflection. And of course, as always:

Smile.
Love Yourself.
Love Each Other.

Previous    Next

No comments:

Post a Comment