Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday Afternoon Poetry #9

This is a poem I learned while in the ninth grade. It was here where I developed my love of poetry and I would like to thank my English teacher, Andy Smith, who is personally responsible for my personal interest and understanding of the beauty of poetry. During the poetry section of our English program, we were give several poems and required to memorize one and then recite it in front of the class. He also gave us the option to do two; the second as a bonus. I myself chose Invictus but it turned out that the rest of my entire English class chose the same poem; the one I will present to you today. I had only read it once myself but since I went first, I had to listen to the same poem recited over and over again. By the time everyone was done I got up and did it as my bonus, second poem. I had memorized it from hearing my entire class recite it; I've never forgotten it since. Enjoy.

She Dwelt Among The Untrodden Ways

She dwelt among the untrodden ways
Beside the springs of Dove;
A maid whom there were none to praise
And very few to love:

A violet by a mossy stone
Half hidden from the eye!
--Fair as a star, when only one
Is shining in the sky.

She lived unknown, and few could know
When Lucy ceased to be;
But she is in her grave, and, oh*,
The difference to me!

-William Woodsworth

*The emphasis was given to me by Mr Smith. He expressed the importance of the emphasis on that word as it indicated the true cumulative sadness at the loss of Lucy and the love the narrator felt for her.


Next

No comments:

Post a Comment